Conducting a waste audit may seem like a difficult task at first, but it can be quite straightforward if you break it down into manageable steps. There are many helpful resources online that provide instructions and forms for completing a successful audit. Here are some quick tips to help your business get started:
1. Identify a waste champion in your business that can review relevant waste audit information and ensure follow through on the project.
2. Inform all management levels in your business about the benefits of conducting a waste audit. Support across your business is needed as part of a successful audit.
3. Create a detailed waste audit plan in advance. Consider what waste streams will be audited, the timeframe for the audit, and sorting and data collection procedures.
4. Develop an audit sheet for data collection. Modify audit sheets from online sources to fit your business.
5. Complete audits quarterly or annually to identify ongoing reuse and recycling opportunities.
Penny Slight is the Program Manager for the Eco-Efficiency Centre. For more information, please contact the Eco-Efficiency Centre by phone at (902) 461-6704; by email at firstname.lastname@example.org; or visit our website at www.dal.ca/eco-efficiency.